A child or children under the age of 18 placed in the home of a service member by a placement agency for adoption is considered a dependent. With a court order for the placement, the child may be eligible for military health benefits. Having the regulation in hand when visiting the DEERS enrollment office may help with personnel who may be unfamiliar with the regulation. The ID regulations for each of the Services are included in one document though each Service gives it a different title:
- Air Force - Air Force Instruction 36-3026(I)
- Army - Army Regulation 600-8-14
- Navy - BUPERS Instruction 1750.10B
- Marine Corps - Marine Corps Order P5512.11C
- Coast Guard – Commandant Instruction M5512.1
- Public Health Service – Commissioned Corps Personnel Manual 29.2, Instructions 1 & 2
- NOAA Corps – NOAA Corps Regulations, Chapter 1, Part 4
The pertinent regulations for the placement of pre-adoptive children are found on pages 75 through 77.
Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.
Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.
Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?