Certificate + License Info

State or local certifications and/or licenses are required in many portable careers. While the licensing and certifications process can present obstacles, such portable careers can be a great choice for a military spouse trying to maintain a career throughout countless PCS seasons. Licensing and certification cover a wide variety of fields and include trade school programs.

Our scholarship program and our partners offer funds for spouses pursuing certifications, trade school, licenses, and more. Learn More>>

State Licensing Requirements

State licensing requirements may restrict career portability for some military spouses.

Those military spouses who require a license to work are encouraged to contact their state licensing board early to inquire about the licensing process.

Efforts have been made to streamline license portability for military spouses using one of three strategies: endorsing existing licenses, issuing temporary licenses, or conducting expedited review processes for military spouses.

However, some states exclude certain professions from meeting these requirements, such as attorneys or teachers.

If you are PCSing with a Nursing license, click here to view our checklist.

If you are PCSing with Mental Health credentials, click here to view our checklist.

If you are PCSing with a Teaching license, click here to view our checklist.

Be sure to review the licensing requirements in the state where you are planning to seek work. 

Spouse Licensure Map with Key

Get Involved


Your $17 helps us protect military families and develop programs to support them.

Join Now


Make a difference in your military community. Advocate for military families.

Act Now


Be the voice for your community. Help strengthen military families.


Powered by Blackbaud
nonprofit software