Checklist for PCSing with a license (Teaching)

You have (or may have) PCS orders and you wonder about job opportunities at your new duty station. How do you increase your chances of successfully PCSing with your license? Start with this checklist below. Click here for the printable checklist.

  • Check your current certification/license(s). Has it expired or is it up for renewal soon? Keeping your license up to date can facilitate re-licensure at your new duty station.

  • Research the requirements of the licensing board at your new/potential duty station. You can find reciprocity agreements between states, and other licensure-transfer requirements at

  • Determine whether your current-license state’s requirements meet or exceed the new state’s requirements (at the links above). If not, you may have additional criteria to meet in order to get that license:

    • If you need additional courses, research local or online courses. Consider community college or other non-profit schools’ courses, which offer less expensive alternatives. Contact a certified career counselor with the Department of Defense Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program for assistance in identifying and comparing options.

    • Does your new state require a general teaching exam certification, such as the Praxis? You may be able to take the exam at your current location before your move.

    • Scan licensure and resume docs to send as PDFs, get finger printed with local agencies along with CPR certification.

    • Check out jobs: 

  • Consider storing extra copies of your credentials and resume together in a secure, cloud-based platform (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) to allow you to easily access and upload electronic files for applications.

  • Get to know the licensure portability laws in your new state. Each state has different rules for military spouses -- license via endorsement, temporary license, or expedited review:

    • Licensure via endorsement: your new state will recognize your license in good standing from another state. This is the ideal and a best practice.

    • Temporary licensure: if you have an up-to-date license from another state you can begin work in a new state while completing any state-specific requirements you haven’t yet met.

    • Expedited review: the state will accelerate the review of your license application.

  • Review the background check requirements for your new state. Are you able to have finger printing completed shortly after you move? This may help expedite your application.

  • Do you have a current CPR certification? Check with a Red Cross location in your community. Often installations will provide free (or reduced-cost) CPR training and certification for military-connected individuals. While this may not be required for employment; a CPR certification may make you a stronger applicant.

  • If you encounter hurdles with re-licensure in your new state, be your own best advocate. Bring the applicable military spouse license-portability rule (above) to the attention of your state board. You can find your state board by using the links above.

  • The person serving you may not be aware of the rules applying to you. If you’re still having issues, contact the Defense State Liaison Office (DSLO), so they can help, if possible.

  • For employment opportunities, visit the Military Spouse Employment Partnership Career Portal and use key words such as “teacher”, “teaching” or “educator” in the job search tool. Additional employment opportunities are available through

Powered by Blackbaud
nonprofit software