Unemployment Compensation

Unemployment compensation helps bridge the financial gap families face when they move from dual-income to one-income. Each state has different requirements that must be met in order to receive unemployment compensation, such as: minimum hours worked for the employer, the reason for leaving employment, geographical distance between employer and your new location, and if you are actively pursuing other employment opportunities from your new location.

As of December 2014, 46 states and the District of Columbia permit an individual who leaves employment, most often due to a move, to remain eligible for unemployment compensation. Generally, the type of unemployment compensation a military spouse receives does not charge the employers’ account, but rather comes from the state’s general unemployment fund. In other words, your former employer will not be penalized if you file an unemployment compensation claim.

How to Apply for Unemployment Compensation

Eligible military spouses must apply for unemployment compensation from the state where employment was performed, not the state you are moving to. If you are not able to apply for compensation without physically being located in the state in which you were employed, you may need to go to your local unemployment office in your new state and file an inter-state claim. An inter-state claim allows you to receive unemployment compensation from your previous state while meeting the job searching requirements from your new state.

Find more information on state and territory unemployment compensation for military spouses or review the DoD Unemployment Compensation map.

  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013