State License Portability

Military spouses tell us they want a portable career. Some professions have state licensing requirements which restrict career portability for military spouses. Since 2011, our Association has worked in partnership with the Department of Defense State Liaison Office to reduce state professional licensing barriers. Thanks to our efforts 48 states now provide license portability by either endorsement, issuing a temporary license, or conducting an expedited review process to a military spouse.

Military spouses, who require a license to work, are encouraged to contact their state licensing board early to inquire about the process to become licensed. For example, in some states attorneys or teachers may be excluded. Other states provide an endorsement only for military spouses in the health care profession.

50 state spouse licensure map

The three main categories of state-specific legislation that support military spouse career portability include: 

  1. Endorsements - A license by endorsement means a new state will recognize a license in good standing from another state.
  2. Temporary licensure - A temporary license allows a military spouse with an up-to-date license from another state to begin work in a new state while completing the state-specific requirements.
  3. Expedite review - This process will accelerate the review of a military spouse’s license application.



 Licensure Status



 Endorse  Temporary  Expedite


 ALASKA    X  
 MAINE  X  X  
 NEW YORK      
 OHIO    X  
 UTAH  X  X  X


*Even though some states will honor a license from another state, the application process and requirements vary from state to state. Additionally, the legislation does not include every profession.

  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013