Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is the most extensive veteran’s education benefit to come out of Congress in years. To be eligible for this robust benefit, service members or veterans must have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001. Individuals honorably discharged for a service-connected disability who served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001, may also establish eligibility.

In addition to receiving this benefit, career service members on active duty or in the selected reserve on August 1, 2009 may be entitled to transfer all or a portion of their education entitlement to their spouse. To be eligible, service members must have served in the Armed Forces for at least six years and agree to serve four additional years from the date of election to transfer.

Spouses who receive a transferred benefit are eligible to receive all public in-state tuition and fees. Private and foreign school costs are capped annually. For the 2013 – 2014 academic year, the private and foreign school annual cap is $19,198.31. Spouses are eligible for the annual book and supplies stipend. Active duty spouses are not eligible for the monthly living allowance.It is important for spouses to keep in mind that transferability is not an entitlement and can be revoked by the service member at any time.

To apply to transfer the benefit to a spouse, service members should first contact the Department of Veterans Affairs to establish eligibility and then submit a transferability application through the Transferability of Educational Benefits website.

To learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, visit:


  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013