Housing + Military ID Cards

DOMA prevents the military from recognizing same-sex spouses as dependents of service members, so military family housing (MFH) and dependent-rate BAH is generally unavailable to same-sex couples unless they have children.

Same-sex partners may qualify under local policies allowing certain non-dependents to live on base, such as child-care providers. For example, the Army allows non-family members to live in military family housing (but not unaccompanied housing) with permission from the Housing Office.

Military ID Cards

Minor children of service members are eligible for a military ID card after being designated by a service member as dependents in DEERS. Children living with someone other than the service member and all children over age 10 must have ID cards. An ID card gives a child access to Morale, Welfare, and Recreation programming and other benefits.

  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013