Service members may freely designate any person, including a same-sex partner, for the following benefits:
- Beneficiary of Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI) and Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) payments
- Receipt of unused contributions from Post Vietnam-Era Veterans Assistance Program (VEAP) and the Montgomery G.I. Bill Death Benefit, as long as the person is also designated as an SGLI beneficiary
- Beneficiary of Thrift-Savings Plan (TSP)
- Retirement annuity under the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP), as long as the service member is not in an opposite-sex marriage and does not have a dependent child
- Beneficiary for Death Gratuity and Beneficiary for Unpaid Pay/Allowances on DD Form 93 (Record of Emergency Data)
- Appointment as the designated caregiver of a wounded service member during recovery
- Appointment as the caregiver of the service member’s children on a Family Care Plan if the service member is deployed.
- Travel and transportation allowance for Yellow Ribbon reintegration events
Looking for more information on benefits? Check out the links below:
In Case of Emergency
Benefits Available to Dependent Children
Housing + Military ID Cards
Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.
Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.
Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?