Mental Health Services and Centers

On a military installation, in a Military Treatment Facility (MTF), and at military installation’s Family Service Centers
Military service members can see their primary care provider for a referral. Military family members can receive care without initially needing a referral or prior authorization for the first eight sessions. Most clinics have walk-in hours, along with scheduled appointment times.

Chaplains or other spiritual advisors
Chaplains are located on your military installation and may be attached to your service member’s command. You can also use your church’s spiritual advisor.

Department of Defense TRICARE Mental Health Providers
Family members, non-active duty members, and Reserve component members who have TRICARE can go directly to a mental health provider in the TRICARE network without a referral or prior authorization for the first eight sessions. Active duty service members must have a referral before receiving services. 

TRICARE Contact Information 
TRICARE Active Duty Programs: 888.363.2273
TRICARE for Life: 888.363.5433

Military OneSource
Counselors available on the telephone 24/7; referrals for ongoing counseling to licensed community-based counselors with up to 12 free sessions per person per non-medical mental health issue; many articles on combat and operational stress are available online, as well as by mail. All active duty, National Guard and Reserve members, and their families can use Military OneSource. Separated veterans can use Military OneSource up to six months after separation.

DoD Deployment Health Clinical Center, (DHCC)
To find resources for service members, families, and providers, call 866.559.1627 or visit the DHCC website.

Deployment Health & Family Readiness Library (DH&FR)
An online library of current deployment health information, including mental health, is available at the Deployment Health & Family Readiness website.

Department of Veterans Affairs
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has individual and group counseling in hospitals and clinics for eligible veterans and their family members. Call them at 800-827-1000 or visit their website. National Guard and Reserve members, along with separated veterans can access the VA Hospitals for medical and mental health care.

There are also local VA resources for eligible veterans and their families. Local VA resources can be located at:  

Veteran Affairs “Vet Centers”
Vet Centers provide readjustment counseling and outreach services to all veterans who served in any combat zone. Services are also available for their families for military-related issues. Go to for a directory, or call toll free: 800.905.4675 (Eastern) and 866.496.8838 (Pacific).

Community mental health center
There are mental health services and programs available within your local community from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration.

Other Available Resources
There have been several Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) that provide free mental health services for military families, veterans, survivors, and their families. Also, some local colleges and universities with mental health programs are offering free mental health counseling for military families. A centralized list of these NGOs and colleges does not currently exist. You can contact your local college or university and inquire whether they are offering free services.

  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013