Caring for Yourself
We often hear how important it is to have a positive self image and a positive attitude about life. However, in order to accomplish this, we need to make sure we are taking care of ourselves. Life is short; it comes at us fast, and it’s not always predictable. Everyday stress can place a tremendous strain on you, which in turn may negatively impact your self-esteem. It is important to take care of yourself because you are important!! Below are a few suggestions to help you achieve this goal.
- Eat right
- Take a walk
- Use relaxing techniques like meditating and deep breathing
- Smile, a lot!
- Stop saying/thinking negative thoughts about your self such as “I’m fat” or “I’ll never amount to anything” and replace these thoughts with positive thoughts such “I can do this” or “I am beautiful”
- Take “alone time” for yourself
- Do something fun like watch a sunrise or sunset
- Drink more water
- Attend church or at least become spiritually connected, whatever works best for you
- Spend time with those you enjoy
The Department of Defense (DoD) has begun to offer complimentary and alternative medicine therapies for military families. DoD and the military Services recognize the stress our families are under and they have included alternative therapies to help alleviate arising physical and emotional stressors. These therapies include, but are not limited to, yoga, meditation, acupuncture, and massage therapies. The Defense Center of Excellence has been fostering pilot programs to look at the potential use and effectiveness of these therapies. Check your local Military Treatment Facility or base gym to see if they are offering any of the programs and sign up. Remember—take care of yourself because you are important!
Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.
Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.
Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?