What To Do If You Discover Moving Damage

After a move, military families are busy setting up their new home, getting kids settled into school, and maybe even job searching. What happens if you discover damaged or missing items from your household goods shipment?

If items are damaged or missing, your household goods are covered under Full Replacement Value (FRV). Damage visible at the time of the delivery must be reported to the transportation service provider (moving company) on DD Form 1840 at the time of the delivery. Damage not noted at the delivery must be reported to the moving company within 75 days of the shipment delivery. For most military families, this means you will file a loss and damage report in the system, the same online system you used to set-up your move. You will need to keep your move.mil password updated so you can log on to the system to file your loss and damage report and claim. The loss and damage report notifies the transportation provider that you plan to submit a claim. You must complete a separate form to file the actual claim. You are required to file and submit your claim to the transportation provider through the move.mil system within 9 months from the date of delivery to quality for FRV protection. 

After the claim is filed, the moving company has the right to inspect the damaged property. They may send out a representative to view the damaged property to see if it can be repaired. Some families find it helpful to show before and after pictures to the representative. Claims will be settled by repairing the item, replacing the item with a like kind or quality, or paying to replace the item. The moving company is required to pay, deny, or make an offer of settlement within 60 days of receipt of a completed and substantiated claim. If you do not agree with the settlement, you may negotiate with the moving company or transfer the claim to your local Service Military Claims Office.

It may be helpful to view the training videos and information on the website for tips on how to file your loss and damage report and claim. If you have additional questions or need assistance, please visit your closest relocation office. The staff at the relocation office can connect you with the Service Military Claims Office or other resources to help address your questions.

Click here for additional moving tips.

  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013