Tax Filing Resources for Military Families

Military families have several resources to help with filing state and federal taxes.

Be sure to gather all of your important tax related documents before you start. The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) announced service member’s W-2 statements are available online through the myPay website. Tax related documents may include any of the following as it applies to your family’s situation: 

  • W-2 (wage or salary from all employment from the previous year) 
  • Disability income 
  • Interest from checking accounts, saving accounts, bonds, CD, or brokerage account 
  • State tax refund from 2011 
  • Alimony income 
  • Pension and/or IRA distribution (1099) 
  • Unemployment 
  • Other income such as gambling winnings, awards, and prizes 
  • Education expenses (1098T) 
  • Home mortgage payments (1098) 
  • Real Estate Tax 
  • Charitable contributions 
  • Child/dependent care expenses 
  • Estimated tax payments 
  • All rental property information if claiming rental income 
  • Old Tax Record (2011) 
  • Any information you think will help properly prepare your tax return

For tax information specific to military families, check out the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Tax Information for Members of the U.S. Armed Forces webpage. This IRS website contains online videos and short articles which highlight military specific issues such as combat pay, filing deadline extensions for deployed service members, and tax laws that provide special benefits to service members.

Free tax filing services are available through Military OneSource. The program provides free access to a customized version of the basic H&R Block at Home® online tax filing product. This customized product allows for free federal filing and up to three state returns. Military OneSource also provides tax counselors via telephone at 1.800.342.9647. The counselors cannot prepare tax forms, but can help you make an informed decision about your tax situation.

TurboTax released a Military Edition that is free to junior enlisted military service members (ranks E1 to E5) until February 14.

Military installations offer Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) consultants to assist with free tax advice, tax preparation, return filing, and much more. Some installations will set up a tax table at common locations, such as the Exchange or Library. Other installation tax centers will extend their hours to help service members and families prepare their returns. Check your installation website or social media pages for announcements. Locate the closest VITA site using the Armed Forces Legal Assistance Services Locator

  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013