Licensing in Wyoming to Increase Spouse Career Portability

Between frequent relocations, maintaining the household during a service member’s deployment, and providing strength and support to the entire family, military spouses make sacrifices every day. Their service to this country is invaluable and such an important part of the success of our military.

The National Military Family Association has worked in partnership with the Department of Defense (DoD) State Liaison Office to address state issues to ensure military spouses can pursue their careers regardless of the number of times they have to relocate. Our Association wrote a letter to Senator Michael Von Flatern (R-WY 24th District) of the Wyoming Senate to support SF 74, Professional Licensing-Military Spouse Legislation on January 11. This legislation does not waive state-specific licensing or credential requirements, but it does allow a highly trained military spouse to obtain a temporary permit in order to enter into the workforce shortly after relocating to Wyoming.

The Senate Committee passed this legislation unanimously. The bill has been directed to the House of Representatives' Floor for further review. 

The legislation isn’t the same in each state, which means license portability will vary from profession to profession and from state to state. It is important for military spouses with professional licenses to become familiar with the licensing legislation in the state where they would like to work. To obtain more information about state-specific licensing, review our 50 State Licensing Chart.

There are three main categories of state-specific legislation that supports career portability: endorsements, temporary licensure, or expedite review procedures. A license by endorsement—meaning a new state will recognize the credentials a spouse already holds from another state is helpful, but might not be a cure all, as there could be other additional requirements for the spouse to meet before they can be licensed in a new state. Additional requirements don’t necessarily mean you can’t start working, though. A temporary license allows a military spouse with an up-to-date license from another state to begin work in a new state while completing the state-specific requirements. The licensing process can be a lengthy, but you could cut through some of the red tape by asking for an expedited review of your credentials. In fact, some states will fast-track the review of a military spouse’s application.

Military spouses are encouraged to contact their state licensing board early and inquire about the process for a military spouse to become licensed.

Have you applied for a license in your state using new legislation? We want to hear from you! Your voice helps ensure the process works smoothly for other military spouses. Send us an email and include your name, the state where you were previously licensed, the state you have or will obtain new license, and a brief description of how the new legislation impacted you. We look forward to sharing your experiences with state legislators so more states can support military spouse career portability. 

  Print Print


Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.

Sign Up

Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.

Please leave this field empty


Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?

Facebook Icon 2013

Twitter Icon 2013

Flickr Icon 2013