37 OCONUS Commissaries to Remain Open Despite Sequestration
As the Department of Defense prepares for across the board furloughs this summer due to sequestration, service members at 37 installations in Europe and the Pacific have a reprieve. The commissaries at these locations will be able to stay open, even on mandated furlough days for all commissaries.
Because of international agreements, local national employees are exempt from furlough. Store staffs overseas include a mix of U.S. and local national employees, and 37 of the Defense Commissary Agency’s (DeCA) 66 overseas stores have enough local national staff to remain operational and will remain open during the furlough period.
The National Military Family Association applauds DeCA for continuing to look for ways to support as many overseas service members and their families as they can by enabling some commissaries to open during regular operating hours during the furloughs. When a military family is stationed overseas, their access to the commissary becomes an even more important lifeline. Items are the economy may be expensive and access to familiar brands almost non-existent. Thanks to DeCA for going above and beyond for a portion of families stationed overseas.
The following commissaries will be open on furlough days:
- In the United Kingdom - Royal Air Force Base Menwith Hill
- In Germany - U.S. Army Garrison Bamberg, U.S. Army Garrison Garmisch, Patch Barracks, Sembach Air Base, Spangdahlem Air Base, U.S. Army Garrison Vilseck and Vogelweh Air Base
- In Belgium - Chièvres Air Base
- In Italy - Aviano Air Base, U.S. Army Garrison Livorno, Naval Support Activity Naples, Naval Air Station Sigonella and U.S. Army Garrison Vicenza
- In the Azores, Portugal - Lajes Field
- In Spain, - Naval Station Rota
- In Turkey - Ankara Air Base, Incirlik Air Base and Izmir Air Base
- In South Korea - K-16 Air Base, U.S. Army Garrison Camp Stanley, U.S. Army Garrison Camp Carroll, Hannam Village Housing Area, Kunsan Air Base, U.S. Army Garrison Camp Humphreys, U.S. Army Garrison Daegu, Naval Base Chinhae and Osan Air Base
- In Japan - Camp Foster Marine Corps Base, Okinawa; Camp Courtney Marine Corps Base, Okinawa; U.S. Army Garrison Camp Zama; Kadena Air Base, Okinawa; Misawa Air Base; Sagamihara Housing Area and Yokota Air Base
- Cairo, Egypt
- Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Commissary customers can quickly learn of any changes to their local store's operating hours by finding their local store.
(Source: http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=120311 )
Until military families are relieved of the weight of war, we hope you will continue to contribute to their wellbeing.
Sign up to receive periodic eNews and alerts.
Want up-to-date information and a community of people that care about military families?